2.26.2009

Antiquated

I was asked about what knife cuts are antiquated. German, old buddy, this one's for you.



In my humblest opinion, the two antiquated knife cuts are Tourné and the Fluting of mushroom caps. They're not common cuts in the modern kitchen as they're time consuming and difficult to do. However, they result in very elegant presentations.

Tourné: To carve vegetable into a football shape with seven equal sides (heptagon). This is accomplished often by using a specially designed paring knife with a curved blade known as a tourné knife or bird beak parer.

Fluted Mushrooms: Using a pairing knife a spiral design is carved into the caps of the mushrooms.

A lot of people will whine, moan and complain when having to do these cuts. And then there are some mad enough that they want to perfect them. Knowing that having this skill is just another part in the complete repertoire of being a cook.

What I enjoy in performing the cuts is the connection to my knife, the test of dexterity and skill, the focus required and knowing that I'm differentiating myself from thousands of others.

The above photo is my first ever attempt at the touré and my second at fluting mushrooms. I'm quite pleased but I can always be better. That said, I'm sure carrots are on sale somewhere...

8 comments:

Presea Saturday, February 28, 2009 at 8:55:00 AM EST  

The fluting of mushroom caps is obvious, but what exactly defines the touré cut? (I guess I could just look it up, but asking someone who knows is so much easier...)

Anonymous,  Saturday, February 28, 2009 at 3:30:00 PM EST  

I added in descriptions of what they are!

Presea Sunday, March 1, 2009 at 5:08:00 AM EST  

Awesome. Thanks!! I really like the deceptive simplicity of the tourné cut. Too bad I'm not likely to see it used in a restaurant.

Unknown Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 2:45:00 AM EST  

haha I was going to ask about the tourne cut. I'm glad I was beat to the punch ;]

Anonymous,  Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 11:01:00 PM EST  

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous,  Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 8:06:00 AM EST  

Not bad article, but I really miss that you didn't express your opinion, but ok you just have different approach

Anonymous,  Monday, May 17, 2010 at 1:30:00 PM EDT  

You certainly aren't saying this fluted mushroom only took you two attempts- most people will profess to several cases being ruined before getting it.

Anonymous,  Thursday, September 16, 2010 at 1:16:00 AM EDT  

A tourne is a two inch, seven sided shape. Each side is 3/4 inch wide. The ends are flat. :]

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP