2.17.2009

Skill

A while back I was explaining knife cuts and techniques to a friend. He stopped me mid sentence and posed the question of, "Why are knife skills so important?" I never gave much thought about the importance of knife skill before he asked me the question. What amused me is that the answer came very naturally and I didn't have to ponder or search for it.

In the practical sense, knife skills are important because it's central to the preparation of food:
- Proper fabrication ensures little waste or produce or meat
- Precise, accurate and even knife cuts promote even and proper cooking
- Clean cuts, nice lines and delicacy give beauty to a finished product

The requirement for good knife skills permeate the cooking process from start to finish. It's an essential skill to learn and posess in order to produce good quality food.

The kitchen knife is also the tool of a cook. Skill in using the knife distinguishes the professional from the home cook, the devoted from the enthusiast. Devotion in learning the techniques and excelling in them is part of the cook identity. Although several knife cuts may be antiquated they connect the cook to a long and treasured history (again, it becomes a skill that sets them apart).

My skill with a knife is the beginning to great food.
My skill with a knife is what sets me apart and makes me different.
My skill with a knife is of fundamental importantance.

1 comments:

Unknown Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 4:11:00 AM EST  

I'd be interested to learn which cuts are antiquated and why!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP