4.19.2009

Litmus Test

Some argue that the litmus test of a good cook is to make a Classical French Omelette. The ingredients are simple and so are the results. However, moving from Point A to Point B is more complex than it lends itself to be.

The process of cooking a Classical Omelette displays competence in timing, heat control, knowledge of ingredients, and fundamental technique. All of those things from just three eggs, butter, salt and pepper and a non-stick pan. The entire cooking process takes less than a minute, 30 seconds more or less can spell disaster for both cook and omelette.

I'm not a huge fan of Omelettes but I love the process. I love technique. Anyone who knows me will hear me say that I love the fundamentals. What can be more fundamental than an egg (philosophically and practically)?

So how do I do? Am I competent?

April 2008

April 2009

I'm pretty competent it seems. And I'm getting better.

2 comments:

Salty Tuesday, July 21, 2009 at 9:22:00 PM EDT  

I can't make an omelette. yet I've gotten rich cooking.

Salty Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 12:36:00 AM EDT  

All kidding aside. After awhile it's about the big picture. The "technique" of running a succesful kitchen and restaurant.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP