5.19.2009

Technique, Talent and Luck

A group of my close friends are artists; I've been friends with them for years and we will likely remain friends for the years to come. Even though they're artists and practitioners of a different craft we still have much in common to talk about.

My friend German, who's devotion to art rivals my devotion to cooking, is one who I sometimes have the best conversations with. We often talk about technique, skill, the learning process and
more. Even thought our tools, mediums, and skill sets are vastly different we can find common ground and draw many parallels. We have a great respect and interest and for each others work.

Recently, via Twitter, German expressed his thoughts on Technique and Talent. I don't think I could adequately express the ideas in a more succinct, fundamental and fluid form.

Adequate technique provides the most opportunity for honest self-expression, not talent.

You either have talent or you don't but any one can create great works with a solid technical foundation.

Talent depends on luck for success. With the proper technique one makes their own luck

I love technique. I love talking about technique. I love discussing it with other individuals, that have the same fundamental respect for the techniques of their craft as I do for mine. I can't stress the importance of learning the fundamentals enough.

1 comments:

Unknown Tuesday, June 16, 2009 at 10:43:00 AM EDT  

I just read this post today! man, glad you dug it!

p.s. we gotta hang SOON

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP