10.04.2008

"You're not good enough..."

At work I was asked to replicate several recipes for an upcoming magazine launch. The purpose of the exercise was for marketing to review the recipes developed by our Chefs for the magazine. They were simple recipes but a lot needed to be done with the utmost accuracy; everything needed to be measured and timed.

I prepared my mis en place in the morning, taped the recipes onto the counter, and had felt pretty good about myself. I thought everything would fall in place and I was well prepared. I know I had felt nervous as this was my first time doing this but they weren't difficult recipes. Still, I don't know exactly where the nervousness came from, I wish I did.

When it came down to cooking I moved with speed and precision. My mis was good but I soon learned that it wasn't good enough. I was making a salad and left out an ingredient, peas. I was supposed to measure out a cup of frozen peas, microwave, shock, mix with remaining ingredients. I got caught up in other recipes and left out the peas from the recipe, I had faltered.

When I realized this gaff I instantly knew that I wasn't good enough. I had made a glaring error and the only person to blame was myself. I needed to focus more intensely and plan and prepare better. In my head I heard a repeated echo of, "You're not good enough, you're not good enough..." over and over again.

It's true, I'm not good enough, but I'll get better and better. Making errors and mistakes is understandable, if not forgivable. It's what the young cook does with their mistakes that matters.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP