10.19.2008

The Birds

My oven broke down last week, the bottom element had burnt out and sent sparks flying. We had just replaced the element so I decided this would be a good weekend to put it to the test by roasting a chicken. Roasting a chicken isn't a simple task, a good roasted chicken takes skill. I'm almost certain that there are too many people eating overcooked and dried out chicken. A good roast chicken is moist, tender, flavourful and has a wonderful crisp skin. It's not hard to achieve it simply takes patience and attentiveness.

I purchased a grain fed and raised without antibiotics chicken. It was a plump bird weighing in at just over 3 pounds. The process for my roast chicken is to brine, truss, season and roast. Simple, but still a time consuming process that requires planning and the proper preparation.

My step-mother owns a canary who's cage is in the kitchen. As I was preparing the chicken we had a bit of a dialogue:

*Loud chirping*
"What? This? (motioning to the chicken) This isn't my fault, don't look at me!"

*Chirping changes to loud singing
*
"You're a loud little bugger."

*Singing continues*

"I'm not afraid to cook you."

*Silence*

It was a humorous moment that I shared with the canary.

So how did the chicken turn out?


My oven is working just fine, again. Here's to good food and good company, even if my company was only a canar

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP