10.20.2008

Singaporean Heritage

I was watching an episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain this past weekend. The aforementioned episode was featuring Singapore cuisine in all it's glory. My parents immigrated to Canada from Singapore. I consider myself a Canuck through and through but I know I have an innate connection to Chinese food and culture.

Singapore's geographical location as the gateway between the West/East has led to the melding of cuisines to create Nonya food. Singapore is a food country, the natives live to eat and not eat to live; food is everything. While filming, Bourdain was approached by a stranger about how to eat roast duck. Bourdain's conversation with the man is as follows:

Bourdain: "Everyone in this city, this county, has a strong opinion on food and how's it's to be eaten."
Singaporean Stranger: "Yeah, it's the only fricken' heritage we have."

So maybe, just maybe, it's in my blood to be a foodie. Destiny? Preordained? Fate? Nah, I don't believe in any of that bullshit. I'm a foodie and that's because I love food and food loves me. I wouldn't call any of this ironic or serendipitous, it simply just is.

And on one final note, the next time I'm in Singapore I have to eat this:

Sup Tulang - Bone Soup

sup tulang Popular hawker dish. ‘Sup tulang’ literally means ‘bone soup’. This Indian Muslim dish consists of mutton leg and shin bones cooked in a spicy chilli sauce with a rich mutton soup base. The cartilage and marrow are eaten.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP