10.23.2007

starting from scratch.

I'm an aspiring cook that has never worked in the food industry and has yet to have any formal training. Right now, I'm a 22 year old student in university that's two months away from obtaining a Hons. BSc in Physical Sciences (Physics). When I tell people what I want to do in life I'm usually given a perplexed look followed by the condescending toned question, "why?" Here's why...

I grew up as sheltered and lonely child who watched a lot of TV. When I was 10 or 11 years old the afternoon television program I took a liking to was The Urban Peasant with James Barber. It was a simple 30 minute cooking program hosted by a man who had a passion for making wholesome and honest food. Watching that show made something inside me just turn on, food was suddenly important. I saw food as a way to be creative, a way to express myself, and a way to entertain and impress others.

I was left home alone a lot and started to play in the kitchen. I would cook the foods I saw on TV cooking shows or even attempt to recreate a dish I tried at a restaurant. I usually didn’t have all the ingredients, tools, or skills to make the food I wanted to but I was happy in the kitchen. It’s probably the first place I knew I was really happy.

At 11 years old the other kids in school would say they’d want to grow up to be things like a police officer, teacher, scientist, animator, or actor. The first thing I said I wanted to be when I grew up, “I want to be a chef.” I was teased, laughed at, and thought to be weird but I didn’t care. I was going to be a chef, I would go to culinary school, write cook books, be on TV, and own a restaurant.

Being born into an Asian family I was discouraged to grow up to be a chef, I should be a doctor, lawyer, dentist, or another high paying job. I eventually pushed/forced cooked aside and pursued the sciences. In my final years of high school I settled on the idea of being a teacher, which is how I got to be where I am now.

In the beginning of third year at university someone suggested several books on cooking for me to read (but that’s for another entry). Reading them, I started to seriously think about food and going to culinary school. Since that time I’ve gone back to my love and passion for food. Food is life and important.

I was happy in the kitchen, I always was, and I want to go back to that. I’d also like to think I have some natural talent at cooking and a somewhat decent cook. If I don’t try and live this dream I’ll regret it for the rest of my life, and I can’t live with regret that large. In a way I’ve reverted back to my 11 year old self where all I want to do is think about food and cooking.

This is this is my passion, this is how I define myself, this is love...

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP