2.10.2008

the boiling point.

This past week, at work, I was introduced to a Chef of a private golf and country club somewhere near Hamilton, Ontario. I introduced myself, told him who I was and what I had planned to do. He looked me dead in the eye and asked me one question, "Why?" There were no words of encouragement, no smiles, and no jokes. He wanted to put me on the spot and know why. I knew the answer inside myself but my reply wasn't nearly as glamorous as I imagined it to be. I said it was what I wanted to do since I was 12 years old and it's something I can't really explain, it's what I love. This is not the answer I should have given.

So what's the reason to my madness? To this obsession with all things food. The simplest answer to this question, with the least amount of words, is that this is pure unadulterated passion. I love cooking, I love reading about food, learning about new foods, going to market, thinking of new flavours, and just talking about all things food. This is a passion I can't ignore.

"Why does a painter paint?" or "Why does a writer write?" or "Why does a carpenter build?" I strongly believe that the answer to these questions and a question of a similar nature applied to other professions should all be the same. Love and passion, having some of those things for what you want to do in life is so important.

The goals in my life have changed since I was 12 but the same passion is there. When I was younger I wanted nothing but to become a superstar chef. I wanted cookbooks, celebrities, TV shows, and more; I wanted to be famous. Now, I just want make good food, scratch that, I want to create amazing, incredible, life changing food. I want do the raw ingredients justice, and have my food appreciated by those who truly care. The one person who will relish every morsel and finds love in every bite is more important and fulfilling than what any TV show, book signing, or celebrity diner can offer.

My current goals are simpler and humbler. But I know that they wont be any easier to attain.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP